Credit card disputes (often referred to as a chargeback) occur when a cardholder requests that their bank refund a charge. When a dispute is initiated by the cardholder, the Rezdy team will send you a chargeback notification email immediately with the specific order and customer details along with recommendations for what evidence to gather, so that we can submit it on your behalf.
Important: Please note that Rezdy does not determine the outcome of any dispute, as this is solely decided by the cardholders bank. All disputes outcomes are final and cannot be appealed.
How should I respond to a RezdyPay chargeback?
Review the Chargeback Details
Carefully review the chargeback notification email to understand the reason for the dispute. Stripe typically provides information about the transaction, the chargeback reason code, and any supporting documentation submitted by the customer.
Assess the Validity of the Chargeback
Determine whether the chargeback is valid or if it is eligible for dispute. If the customer's claim is legitimate (e.g. product not delivered, item not as described), consider issuing a refund (accepting the chargeback) to avoid further complications.
Respond to the Chargeback within the Timelines
Our Disputes Management team will provide you with a specific deadline with which you must respond to a chargeback. Make sure to adhere to these timelines to ensure your response is considered valid.
Gather and Provide Compelling Evidence
Collect all relevant documentation related to the transaction, such as order details and any customer communication. Having comprehensive evidence can significantly strengthen your case when disputing the chargeback. Suggested evidence to consider gathering includes but is not limited to:
- Customer communication (email/text)
- Signed receipts or waivers
- Duplicate charge documentation
- Refund and cancellation policy
- Service documentation
- Credit voucher
- Terms disclosure
- Any other relevant documentation
Be sure to provide compelling evidence. Craft a detailed and fact-based response to the chargeback. Clearly state your case and explain why the chargeback is not valid if you believe that is the case.
Rezdy Support will Submit the Response on your Behalf
We will ensure that all the necessary documentation is attached, and the information is clear and easy to understand. Our team will then monitor the dispute and inform you via email once a decision has been made by the cardholder’s bank.
Be Prepared for a Reversal
Even with a strong case, chargeback disputes do not always result in a favourable outcome for the supplier. Be prepared for the possibility that the customer's bank upholds the chargeback, resulting in the funds being deducted from your account.
Note: Advice presented in this article is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice or a guarantee of any specific outcome regarding a bank's investigation into chargeback disputes. Each case is unique and the final resolution of a chargeback dispute is subject to various factors, including transaction details, cardholder claims, and individual bank policies and procedures.
Additional best practices
- When creating Internal orders, we strongly recommend using Payment Request emails to collect payment from your customers, as this may help to combat chargebacks and disputes. Click here to see how to send payment request emails to your customers.
- Refund any payments you suspect are fraudulent as soon as possible. If you think someone is using credit card information fraudulently you may want to consider refunding the booking. Check for and be aware of phone numbers and email addresses that may appear fraudulent within your Rezdy orders.
- Ask the customer to sign a physical receipt or waiver when they arrive for their activity.
- Avoid misleading practices. Be clear and transparent about your pricing, descriptions, extras, and any additional charges that customers may need to pay. Misleading information can potentially lead to a higher rate of chargebacks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Rezdy decide the outcome of my dispute?
- No, the outcome of the dispute is decided by the cardholder’s bank.
How will I know when a new dispute occurs?
- Our Disputes Management team will reach out to you directly with all details and information required to take the necessary steps.
How will I know if a dispute has been won or lost?
- Our Disputes Management team will reach out to you directly to notify you of the outcome.
What do I do if I suspect that a charge is fraudulent?
- If you believe that a payment made to you may be fraudulent, consider refunding the payment immediately. If the dispute process has already begun, let us know and we can accept the dispute on your behalf at your request. This will refund the cardholder and end the dispute.
What do banks evaluate when deciding the outcome of a dispute?
- When evaluating a chargeback dispute, banks typically consider various factors to determine the validity of the claim and decide whether to uphold or reverse the chargeback. These factors include but are not limited to:
- Chargeback reason (fraud, item not received, item not acceptable, etc)
- Customer’s submitted evidence
- Your counter evidence and documentation
- Your refund/cancellation policy
- Your history of chargebacks
- Internal bank policies